The Green Approach
Recognizing the importance of design, guest accommodations, amenities, efficiency, hotel brand standards and employee work environment, Middletown Hotel Management strives to integrate our day-to-day business practices with environmental responsibility. Our commitment to taking steps to create a “green” business has enabled us to lower costs, increase efficiency and productivity as well as improve the health and vitality of guests that stay at our “green” properties and their communities.
HOW WE CONTRIBUTE TO ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
- As of 2013, all hotels in the Middletown Hotel Management Family will be non-smoking.
- We offer recyclable services to our guests.
- We ask each guest the number of keys they would like to have. We recycle all keys, but the fewer keys we distribute, the better.
- We offer email receipts to our guests to eliminate paper use; we resource used paper as scrap paper instead of using new paper.
- All front desk associates use a log book, creating one source of communication instead of paper notes and sticky notes.
- Front desk associates have email access as a way to communicate instead of using paper products for communication.
- We have reduced the number of newspapers ordered daily, offering an electronic version to each guest.
- We recycle all ink cartridges from the business center as well as the front desk and back of the house areas.
- The break room has real silverware and dishes for the staff to use daily instead of paper, plastic or Styrofoam.
- Enviroware ecofriendly products are used in the breakfast area.
- Our linen “Conserve to Preserve” program is designed to conserve energy in the laundry room. If guests would like new towels, they can leave soiled towels on the bathroom floor. If they plan to reuse them, they can hang them up. In the same fashion, our linens are changed every third day (or at checkout) unless requested to be changed sooner.
- Our used linen items are donated to local charities to be reused.
- We use cleaning products from Ecolab, which are safe for the environment as well as our guests’ health.
- Telephone books are no longer in every guest room; they are located at the front desk for use when needed, saving hundreds of trees per year.
- We use Purity Basics soap, shampoo and moisturizer, which are 99% natural and biodegradable with packaging made of recycled materials.
- We began a partnership with “Clean the World” to recycle used soaps.
- We changed the waste receptacles in our hotel rooms, using reusable plastic liners instead of disposable trash bags. This has greatly reduced the use of trash bags.
- Thermostats are kept on a temperature of 68 degrees during the winter and 72 degrees during the summer.
- We’ve converted to low-flow massage shower heads with an output of 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Our low-flow toilet tank diverters use 1.6 gallons per flush to conserve water efficiently.
- We use faucet aerators: mixing air with water stream, reducing water consumption & cost of heating the water (also reducing water flow to 1.5 gallons per minute).
- We installed wall mounted thermostats in each guest room to shut off heating and air units when not needed.
- We installed energy-efficient Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) bulbs in all compatible light fixtures.
- Exterior lighting is set to a timer to control use of outdoor lights.
- We are increasing our use of solar energy-efficient panels.